The times quoted by those who were a part of the events of the morning of 21 April are in disagreement. The makers of the docu-drama The Lost Aviator have concluded that this provides evidence suggesting that Chubbie conspired with Bill to hide the evidence of murder.
1. When researching this story, I noticed that most of the times mentioned by witnesses were half-hours: for example, 2.30 am, 3.00 am, 3.30 am. To state the obvious, these times only occur every thirty minutes. This indicates that there is only a one-in-thirty chance that the stated times were exact.
2. These times were sometimes at odds with each other. For example, Attorney Huston told the court that Chubbie phoned around 3.00 am. But the ambulance driver logged the time he received the message to go to the Coral Gables cottage at 2.30 am.
3. This suggests that everyone was rounding their times. The ambulance-driver rounded it down to 2.30 am to get extra money. Huston rounded it up to 3.00 am for purposes of convenience. And he said that he arrived at the cottage around 3.15 am. Another rounding.
4. Chubbie was an open honest person who was no good at dissimulating. She withstood hours of interrogation without showing any evidence she was lying. The state attorney and investigators concluded that she knew nothing about Haden’s death. They tried to make her slip-up during Bill's trial but again failed to do so. It is evident that she was telling the truth – as she knew it.
5. When people experience dramatic situations, their judgement of time is often poor. Unless they specifically look at a clock and make a point of remembering what time it is, their perception of the current time and of passing time can be completely wrong.
6. Humans regularly round things, including their own ages. When I was editing early Australian colonial records (early 1800s), I found that ages that ended with zero (eg. 20, 30, 40 …) occurred much more frequently than any others (eg. 21, 22, 23 …) and than was statistically likely. We all round times for purposes of convenience .
The time warp is not evidence of complicity to hide the truth but human nature.